Does the Genus rule work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xenos

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive been told you should only mix species of different genus. Example you cannot mix a yellow tang with a purple tang but you can mix a yellow tang with a Naso tang. Is is a good rule? and if so does this mean I can mix a skunk clown with a maroon clown. I think both are adorable and am having a hard time choosing.

Is is a good rule? and if so does this mean I can mix a skunk clown with a maroon clown.

It is and it isn't. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. Whether you can mix skunks and maroons...alot will depend on the size tank and the order of introduction. Skunks are probably the most docile of the clowns and maroons one of the most beligerant.

I dunno, I got this book that was very helpful. It's basically called Marine Fishes. It was a little pricey, I don't remember how much I paid. Has about 600 pages of all kinds of fishes, their habits, growth, feeding, pictures, compatibility etc ISBN Number for i is 1-890087-38-6
And according to this book, Yellow Tangs refuse to tolerate other tangs and surgeon fishes.
Clownfish sometimes don't like other clownfish. There are many fish that don't like same members of their own species. Like my flasher wrasse gets upset at it's own reflection sometimes.

I know people that have mixed powder blue and a yellow tang successfully. Its so confusing. I don't want to hurt any fish because I don't know what I'm doing

I have a blue hippo tang and a yellow tang together and i have a mated pair of false percs and a tomatoe clown together also. They don't bother each other at all

Back
Top Bottom