don't laugh at me, i'm a noob......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, don't laugh at me since i'm new to SW (i have always had FW planted tanks). Is there a difference between marine food and regular FW food? can i feed tetra flakes to marine fish? or frozen bloodworms/freeze dried bloodworms to my marine buddies? also some fish needs some greens in their diet, can i feed them the regular algae wafers? again, don't laugh, i'm a noob:):thanks:

There are generally different nutritional requirements for saltwater fish. I would try to get some food that's specifically for marine fish. Depending on the size of your tank I would suggest looking into frozen food; mine costs $7 and will feed my 3 fish for months.

As for the herbivores you can buy Nori sheets from a grocery store and feed them that.

Though one thing that does carry over into saltwater from fresh are frozen bloodworms. My tank goes nuts for them, and my algae blenny will only eat algae and them. It is a once a month thing though, as I stick to gut loaded mysis and brine shrimp that come frozen.

I think you should feed a variety of fresh foods and minimize the use of flake foods entirely. Otherwise SW fish will eat almost any fresh food FW fish would eat. Prepared frozen foods and flake foods do have nutrients added for FW vs SW fish.

thanks for the advices so far. i think i need to clarify my concern a little. i understand a variety of food is needed to keep fish healthy. i have freeze dried bloodworms, live AND frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimps, two different kind of algae wafers, and about 4-5 different kind of flakes. my concern most came from the flakes because they don't indicate whether they're SW safe. all they have is FW fish on the label. the reason why i have so many other non-flake food is because some of my fish from my FW collection won't take flakes, such as peacock gudgeons, bumbleebee gobies, dwarf puffers, elephant nose fish, etc. i know SW has no problem with brine shrimps, but i wasn't sure of the flake food (for example the Tetra color enhancing flakes) with only freshwater fish on the label and the bloodworms and the algae wafers. i hope this elaboration is helpful to get the answer i need. otherwise, i can always stop by the pet shop and get some SW food. i just wanted to check if what i have is good or not because i open my wallet

Back
Top Bottom