dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
o.k. i have to admit it.... i hate dosing the tank with ca/alk every day! i've been looking into automatic dosers and could use some advice. i currently use b-ionic and their doser runs about $150 but looks complicated to set up. it seems you have to buy additional parts and assemble them to it. i saw that kent makes a two-part that you can i.v. drip. could i do something simple like that with the b-ionic or should i try the kent? has anyone bought the b-ionic doser? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I guess you could drip B-ionic, but I would think that if you were going to go to the trouble of dripping anything, I would start with Kalk and see if that works for you.

i have little knowledge on the subject of kalk except that it only maintains the levels. would i still have to add the b-ionic? also, should i be treating the new water with something when i do changes?

Only treat the new water if it is lacking in something. Some salt mixes mix to low alk, low Ca or both. If either is the case then it would be beneficial to add something to bring the levels closer to NSW.

i have little knowledge on the subject of kalk except that it only maintains the levels.

Kalkwasser is german of Lime Water. Chemically its known as Calcium Hydroxide. It is commonly sold in grocery stores as Pickling Lime. It is a balanced additive in that it adds both Alk and Ca into the water. People drip Kalk into the water in order to keep up with their tank's Ca and Alk demand.

would i still have to add the b-ionic?

Impossible to say. Every tank is different. You would have to check your levels and dose accordingly. Kalk did not fully work for me as I had to continue dosing another two part additive. I have since switched to over to straight B-Ionic as I got tired of mixing up the Kalk every day.

should i be treating the new water with something when i do changes?

I think for most people, I would say "NO" to this. I switched over to a newer salt mix last week and found out that the Alk level is a little on the low side so I will probably have to dose the Alk part of B-Ionic to bring it up to par. But I think this is an extreme case for most.

Are you currently testing for both Alk and Ca? Like jackdp cautioned, you should only dose chemicals that you are testing for and then only when they are deficient. If you aren't testing, you may just be thowing money out the window.

Here is a great link for you that will help decide what Ca/Alk scheme would work for you:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

yes i am testing, but i don't mix my own water, i buy it from my lfsand i never thought to test it. also, i don't have alot of coral right now so my demand is on the low side. i'm going to check out that link, so thank you both. if i still have question i know where you are :D

Back
Top Bottom