Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gboduszek

Aquarium Advice Freak
So over the past week or 2 I've started dosing alkalinity as my tank is well below where i would like it and water changes just don't seem to keep up. I've been using the aquavitro liquids to do so. Here are my tank params using salifert test kits:
20 long tank
Salinity 1.026 using reef crystals
Alk: 7.0
Calcium: 400/410
Mag: 1250

I've been dosing 5 mL of aquavitro eight.four each morning to try and raise the alk but the number never changes. When I test the check solution the kit is spot on and freshly mixed saltwater reads 11 dKH so I don't think the test kit is off. Am I going about something wrong?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also when I add the 5 mL of alk it turns white when it hits the tank water and then disperses throughout. Would this be precipitation occurring then? If so wouldn't I be seeing a drop in calcium? Any help is greatly appreciated as I've never physically had to dose before. I'm slightly familiar I guess with how the big 3 affect each other but physically dosing them is kind of a new realm

your alk levels will always be lower in the morn and the eve check it during the mid day , also once you start opening windows in the summer you will also see changes ,

I checked both and the highest it's ever read was around 7.5.. I'd like to get it up to around 10 dKH gradually but obviously I'm doing something wrong it seems

I checked both and the highest it's ever read was around 7.5.. I'd like to get it up to around 10 dKH gradually but obviously I'm doing something wrong it seems

Can I ask why you want to raise it? 7.5 dkh is fine. I've always run my tanks right around this level and had good sps growth

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can I ask why you want to raise it? 7.5 dkh is fine. I've always run my tanks right around this level and had good sps growth

In the past I had struggles with a ton of LPS due to my alk going below 7. I guess preferably I would like to get it to hover atleast around 8 dKh or so. More so I guess is I just want to understand what's going on with my dosing regimen and why I am not seeing an increase in alk at all. I want to be able to establish a dosing regimen I guess to keep things stable.

Back to a previous question tho, when I add the alk to the tank is it normal for it to turn white and then go away as its dispersed throughout the tank?

Yes all alk additives turn white, that's normal for sure.

I didn't like aquavitro 8.4 when I used it. Took way to much to make a change. Can you get some bulk sodium carbonate at the LFS? Its a white powder you just mix with RO water, works way better IMO and way cheaper.

7 is fine for LPS and most sps actually. I have run my sps tank at about 7.8 and its where all my coral are the happiest.

Yes it is normal. What calculator are you using for that measurement? I've always gone by this one to increase elements. http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
Sometimes the bottles don't give the right measurements

I wasn't using one and was using the initial amount suggestion on the bottle and then hoping to test and see how much it raised and go from there to establish a daily amount needed to keep things close to a set number.
Thanks for the link though. I will definitely start using that from now on.
Just did a water change also which took alk up to 7.5 but like I said before this always goes down to around 7 about 2 days later even with the daily 5 mL dose

Yes all alk additives turn white, that's normal for sure.

I didn't like aquavitro 8.4 when I used it. Took way to much to make a change. Can you get some bulk sodium carbonate at the LFS? Its a white powder you just mix with RO water, works way better IMO and way cheaper.

7 is fine for LPS and most sps actually. I have run my sps tank at about 7.8 and its where all my coral are the happiest.

That's comforting to hear that it took a lot to make a change for someone else as well. I've been using the aquavitro line solely because I was give a free sample of the entire reef line so I figured I would give the eight.four, cacification, and ions a go since I had recently noticed in order to keep alk from dipping too low I was doing about 25% water change every 5-6 days or so.

Yes it is normal. What calculator are you using for that measurement? I've always gone by this one to increase elements. http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
Sometimes the bottles don't give the right measurements

Hey bribo so I've been messing around with the calculator and when I enter desired alk around 8.0 it says balanced calcium is ~420. Does this mean I should be dosing a little calcium as well to raise mine from 400 ppm in order to hit my desired alkalinity of 8.0 dKH?

Back
Top Bottom