Dosing confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently started dosing and I think I may have done my maths wrong.

I was maintaining my Ca and KH by using Kalkwasser in my ATO. It worked okay at keeping those levels up but it wasn't consistent due to differing levels of evaporation. I decided to leave out the kalk and start dosing.

On the 12/08 my levels were as follows
Ca-440
Mg-1320
KH-8.0

14/08
Ca-420
Mg-1260
KH-7.2

Using the bioaquatec salts, the app is used said I needed 26ml of KH solution per day. My KH is now at 10.5! Have I missed something? What I will say is that my tank looks amazing, I've never seen my corals look so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you have the correct total water volume in your system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my initial thought but I actually have more than I thought

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ya I'd cut back a bit on the KH if you went from 7.8 to 10.5. A lot of coral will react poorly to big swings like that over short periods of time. Dosing is an art for sure, when you add KH you'll see your calcium drop, when you add calcium you can see your KH drop, the trick is to figure out how much of each to add to keep it stable. I monitored my levels of the big 3 daily until I had my doser dialed in to where my parameters were stable and where I wanted them. Then you add coral and all of a sudden your cal starts to drop and you have to re adjust.

Back
Top Bottom