dosing pumps & top off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just wanted to get some input about using dosing pumps for top off? i know that it can also be used to add meds and kalswasser (calcium?). i would like to get your experience with these pumps, particularly for top off.

For top off with FW only (no meds or kalk) just use a float switch and a small power head. Cheap and efficient. Some even use this setup for kalk. I prefer a smaller dosing pump for my top off using kalkwasser.

i was thinking about going that route, however, i worry about switch failure. i know some systems have 2 redundant level switches (which is a consideration for me). however, i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the dose pumps and what their opinions may be.

Were you going to use the dosing pump with a level switch? If so the stuck switch dilema will still be there. A timed dosing pump is just OK since the dosing rates may or may not keep up with evaporation.
Don't worry so much about the failed level switch. Put a redundant one in if it makes you feel better. I've had them fail on me a couple times. It's never been an electrical failure but salt on the switch making it stick. One time stuck open, one time stuck closed. I've never had more than a few gallons of water on the floor. Don't worry about spills - they're inevitable. Just try to minimize them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom