Dosing Recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't doase anything. I don't have any experience with reefs, but I have read a lot on this forum and folks say regular PWC should keep your levels up, but I could be wrong.

That would normally work, but i use Instant Ocean only and it only bumps my levels up to 160, i need 400-450...and I very comfortable for the 9 years Ive been in the saltwater hobby.

Ok, sorry, lol! Don't they have IO "reef salt".....Anyway, I'll let the more experienced jump in adn help....

I dont dose and rely on PWC with oceanic and calcium stays at 400-450. I also have had my reef 9 yrs. If you are doing PWC every week and calcium is only 160 you`ve got some bum salt. I ussually dont reccomend it but you need to change if that`s all your getting out of your salt mix.

I've been using Oceanic also and do supplement. My Ca is at like 465. Try switching over to see if it helps you at all. Mine was really low also when I was using IO. It was around 300. The Oceanic really made a difference.

i have been using IO for a while and my calcum is through the roof at 520

i use Instant Ocean only and it only bumps my levels up to 160, i need 400-450
I've been using IO for years. IO tests at 340-350ppm CA right out of the box. Adding some CA to your fresh saltwater is a good way to solve this. If your tank water is reading 160 you need to bring that up w/ an additive. PWC's would take a very long time and a lot of hassle to correct that low a number w/ any salt mix.
hmm, I'll order some of that oceanic stuff you guys talk to highly about
Be cautious. Changing salt mixes can/will stress animals especially inverts. If you do switch do it gradually through small PWC's.
FWIW I don't like Oceanic!
roka64 said:
dont they have IO "reef salt"
Yes-IO Reef Crystals. I just got a bucket of it. It test the same on CA as regular IO.

Does CC add to calcium? I'm just curious since that is really what CC is...a lot of calcium buildup....right?

roka64 said:
Does CC add to calcium?
AFAIK no. Only when the PH falls below a certain level will the carbonates dissolve into the water and boost the Alk/Ph. It's not just CC- aragonite sand, LR will also do this.

Back
Top Bottom