Doughnut Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys so I'm not building a sump anymore found a 29gl one including pump for $50 so I'm picking that up today so with the saved money got a pretty nice sized doughnut coral and reading online it really didn't say about it getting it's nutrients from the lights so was just wondering do I have to feed it often or does it get most from the lights and on liveaquaria it's called button coral Cynarina if that helps. Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

• image-1713703896.jpg
    image-1713703896.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 158
I can tell by its color that it is photosynthetic based. While it will eat tiny bits of food, it should derive a lot of sustenance from good lighting.

Ok thanks. Whats there growth rate and I have it under 4 54w t5 bulbs so is this light sufficient? And it looks in good condition right its open a lot more now

Lighting and water column would be my answer. That brown color is a good sign that he`s getting what he needs.

acolotto said:
Ok thanks. Whats there growth rate and I have it under 4 54w t5 bulbs so is this light sufficient? And it looks in good condition right its open a lot more now

I don't use T5's but my guess would be that they are quite sufficient for this coral. Growth depends on the conditions you present it.

I got 4 Hagen glo lights...it's 2 marine glo and 2 power glo. I think they are 12000 k and 10000 k

And just got a new job and with my 1st paycheck im gonna buy new bulbs and lighting for my fuge I just got...any suggestions for lighting combos and brand?

Sweet! Thanks...but they're like a little over yr old should i replace soon or wait til the go out?

Ok I get paid next week so I'll get them then...would like two of each be good or what's a good combination. Sorry I've been a lot of questions lately but passed my year mark last year so really trying to start to turn this tank into a reef tank

Some like the ATI Coral Plus too, which is a new lamp on the market. You might want 2 Blue plus, and One Aquablue Special, and one Coral Plus.

I have all 4. They are sitting nicely beside my tank in their packaging... Ordered without thinking and they don't fit my T5HO or make them that fits... Great looking bulbs though.

Alright I'll give those a try and meant just passed my year mark in January...what fixture u have? I have a two two bulb 48" bulbs fixtures...ones the Hagen glo fixture and the other is a acquatic life link both are t5ho fixtures

Ok one more question? I have 1 Ocellaris clown and really wanna get another but my tank has 1 clown, 1 green mandarin, 1 orange spotted goby, 1 longnose hawkfish, 2 yellowtail damsels, and a coral banded shrimp so would adding another clown be ok? Also I would like to add a diamond watchman goby but rather have another clown so could I add both? I guess I just don't really know the rules for stocking in saltwater

That green mandarin is going to slowly starve. You could try to add another clown, but you may see aggression.

Sadly, I agree with Mr_X...the mandarin will need live food or he will probably not make it. The addition of another clown is more art than science. I would read the other posts here regarding adding clown fish. They're super territorial and should have a large tank so one can get away from the other if a riot ensues. Usually best added in pairs.

I've had the mandarin prob for 7 or 8 months now and still have pods I see them every night they're everywhere and he's nice and plump looking...I've done a lot of research on the mandarins and made sure I've always had a large pod population I literally see them everywhere on the rocks and sand at night when I turn the lights on and I'm currently in the process of adding a sump/refugium just need to buy the plumbing for the overflow and return pump, lights, and some macro algae but got live rock sand that I'm letting cycle for a little until I add it to my system...the rock is already cured and it's live sand but I'm pretty sure it needs to cycle still and didn't want it to cause any damage to my dt...am
I right in doing this?

Back
Top Bottom