Downside to having emerald crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Has your emerald crab every hurt/killed a fish?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a little bit of bubble algae. Whats the downsize to having an emerald crap. Will he bother my Nass/Astrea snails? I read they might bother small fish too. (I plan on having a wathman goby, firefish, and my clown).

I have 3 in my 100 gallon and no problems. They are doing a good job on bubble and the green algea as well. I wouldnt get big emeralds if you get them...all of mine are small and once they get big then trade them back in for smaller ones.

OK cool I will do that. Just wanted to make sure im not getting a cool critter to take care of one problem, and then create another. My mistakes learning have ended enough life as it is lol.

Yeah I have 5 along with many snails, hermits, nudis, and shrimp. They dont bother anything. All they do is go back and forth with their claws from the rock to their mouth.

Be sure to keep a close eye on them, especially when they get bigger. I had one take two of my fish! I finally got rid of all of them in my tank just to be safe....

I am no expert here, but I have seen two types of emeralds, ones with very small claws and ones with larger claws. It is my uninformed opinion that the small-clawed ones would have trouble taking out a fish. I don't know whether this is a male/female difference or if it's a different species or what. I feel that these two types may be responsible for the different experiences people have with them. perhaps we should do a survey about these, since I have no research whatsoever to back up what I'm saying.

Well, I had a medium-sized green emerald take a "chunk" out of a tang. He lasted only a week after that. And it was a big chunk. Some say the green ones are safer, but I think it depends on the crab--obviously, mine wasn't.

jaiden said:
I am no expert here, but I have seen two types of emeralds, ones with very small claws and ones with larger claws. It is my uninformed opinion that the small-clawed ones would have trouble taking out a fish. I don't know whether this is a male/female difference or if it's a different species or what. I feel that these two types may be responsible for the different experiences people have with them. perhaps we should do a survey about these, since I have no research whatsoever to back up what I'm saying.

OK poll time :) I talked to the guy at the LFS and we both think that it would be very rare for it to happen. I guess there is always the chance but.

Mine has never bothered any of my fish, even if a fish is bothering it. It does, however, seem to exclusively prefer coralline algae over bubble or hair algae. Go figure. Luckily that stuff grows back pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom