Dr Tims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing about Dr Tim's is it adds bacteria to the water column. If you add an ammonia source right away the bacteria will consume the ammonia and convert it but very little of the bacteria will get established on your rocks and sand as PERMANENT colonies. You'll think your cycled but if you add fish too quickly you may find out you do not have a strong enough colony.

The thing about Dr Tim's is it adds bacteria to the water column. If you add an ammonia source right away the bacteria will consume the ammonia and convert it but very little of the bacteria will get established on your rocks and sand as PERMANENT colonies. You'll think your cycled but if you add fish too quickly you may find out you do not have a strong enough colony.

+1 This is the case with most of those "insta cycle" products

I've used it. Works great. As for the "don't add fish too quickly" suggestion...that's always wise at first. Slow and steady...

I used to have to move every 3-4 years for work and I have cycled many freshwater tanks with the same freshwater stuff. What I would do is add the water just to cover my gravel and then add the bacteria. Let it sit for a week with some food tossed in for an ammonia source (I know that is not recommended, but in this case worked well). After a week I'd add a bit of water then drain it down to sort of rinse it. Top it up and ready to go.

If I were to start a saltwater tank with NO live rock I'd probably put some of the new rocks in an aerated bucket just covering the chosen rocks and do a similar thing. After a week those rocks should have a great starter colony to seed the rest of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom