Drilling 20G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NanoNewb

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am starting up a new tank and was wondering on thoughts on drilling a 20G High. Looking at a screened bulkhead to keep the inside "clean" looking. Will have a 20G sump below as well. These are just cheapo 20G tanks but not sure if they are tempered or not. Will this matter for drilling?

I drilled a 20 gallon high a few months ago and everything went fine. I don't know of any tanks made nowadays that use tempered glass on 20 gallons so your good. Just make sure to use a glass hole saw, use a guide, keep the glass wet, and go slow making sure not to put any pressure on the drill because your actually not cutting a hole the hole saw is sanding the glass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most glass tanks are tempered on the bottom and shouldn't be drill. It will likely shatter. You can drill the back glass with no issues thought. Glass-holes.com sells complete overflow kits with the hole saw, box and everything. Just match the pump to the overflow.

Even my 10 gallon says it's tempered on the bottom. Sides are 99% of the time standard glass especially on small tanks.

Back
Top Bottom