drilling tank alternitive.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arizona reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
first off i don't know a whole lot about glass and i really don't want to drill my tank so i was gonna go with an overflow hang on the back model. my roommates dad works for a glass company(lucky me for some things) and he has a few circle glass cutters. kind of like the ones you see in the movies. do you think one of these would work and if so how big of a hole would i want to work with my mag 9.5 pump? how far from the top of the tank do i want the hole? just for reference i have a 125 gallon tank and a 50 gallon rubbermaid type sump. the stand sits 3 feet tall and the height of the tank is 22 inches so thats a total of 58 inches or 4 feet 11 inches of head for the mag 9.5 to push. hope i did not leave anything out. thank you in advance for the help

Galziers use a hole saw similar to the one that are use on wood except they have diamond heads. They are pretty expensive too about 60 dollars. When drilling glass it is never a garunteed. Your best bet is to use a dremel tool. There are many articles floating aroung on the internet about them. I have a guy in my reef club that does it with no problem. He is doing my 20 gal prop tank right now.

For reference a 1" bulk(drain) will give you about 600 GPH. I don't like insump sump because they throw off way too much heat. I would go external if you have the room. :D

If your tank has tempered glass (which many quality tanks do) you wont be able to drill. so check that out because you will ruin your tank if you try to drill tempered glass.

Back
Top Bottom