Dry rock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was drawn to dry rock because of the price. I could literally fill my entire 25G tank for about $10. So I ordered some pukani rock from bulk reef supply. I got it, boiled it, and then soaked it in salt water for 48 hours. After that, I scrubbed them thoroughly with dish soap, rinsed thoroughly, and then soaked in clean saltwater for another 24 hours to make sure there was no soap left. A lot, and I mean a TON of debris came off of the rocks. I was just about ready to put it in my tank when someone mentioned curing the rock to me. I've done a little research and I've heard it requires soaking for up to 3 weeks in saltwater. I was just wondering if what I did was sufficient or if I still need to soak it? It's only 3 total pounds of rock, and I do have an established bio filter on other rock that's already in the tank. Thanks folks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You already did what you needed to do. You don't need to cure dry rock like you would rock that was once live and full of who knows what.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I should have clarified, it's dry now but it was once alive. That's why it's so cheap. I'm just hoping 48 hours soaking plus all the cleaning I did got enough of if the dead crud off so it won't spike any levels. The white rock is the new stuff, everything else is already established.

Attachments

• 1407709001543.jpg
    1407709001543.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 92
I was drawn to dry rock because of the price. I could literally fill my entire 25G tank for about $10. So I ordered some pukani rock from bulk reef supply. I got it, boiled it, and then soaked it in salt water for 48 hours. After that, I scrubbed them thoroughly with dish soap, rinsed thoroughly, and then soaked in clean saltwater for another 24 hours to make sure there was no soap left. A lot, and I mean a TON of debris came off of the rocks. I was just about ready to put it in my tank when someone mentioned curing the rock to me. I've done a little research and I've heard it requires soaking for up to 3 weeks in saltwater. I was just wondering if what I did was sufficient or if I still need to soak it? It's only 3 total pounds of rock, and I do have an established bio filter on other rock that's already in the tank. Thanks folks!

You washed the rock with dish soap? Try to avoid that like the plague. It could potentially contaminate your tank which would end badly.

You already did what you needed to do. You don't need to cure dry rock like you would rock that was once live and full of who knows what.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Even if it's never been used as live rock it's a good idea to cure it. I bought a batch from Bulk reef supply a while back and was letting it soak. 30lbs of it caused the ammonia to skyrocket to 6.0ppm in a 40g tank.

Back
Top Bottom