DSB and powerhead question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heya guys.

I am getting in a wave maker sometime this week and am going to hook it up to my two PH that I have in the tank. Both PH are attached to the top right and top left on the back of the tank. Right now one of the power heads points toward the middle of the tank while the other one points at the opposite PH (blows over the LR). I was thinking about changing the flow so that both PH point toward the middle of the tank. Only problem is that now I have nitrogen bubbles forming right in the middle of the tank under the DSB. It is right were both PH flows would intersect and I am afraid that it would blow the sand away and release that gas. Would this cause a problem at all? I do have my output from my sump blowing directly into the front glass so I guess I really don't have to change the flow on the PH's. But I just thought I would ask.

Also, do the bubbles that from in a DSB only form near the top of the bed? I don't have any bubbles that have formed deeper than one inch down. The majority are 1/2 to 1/4 inches from the surface. Is this because the DSB is still relatively new? I am seeing a reddish brown type of algae under the sand where the bubbles have formed. I am assuming this is cyano and is natural.

Thanks for the help.

What you suggest should be fine. I think you will be supprised at how little the sand in the sand bed moves once the tank has established itself. And when it does get kicked up it will settle alot faster than a freshly setup tank

The airbubbles come from the lower areas of the bed and rise to the top and will eventually release from the sand bed and rise to break at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom