DSB crash ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm doing a little research on the phenomenon of a DSB "crashing" due to toxic levles, acid build up etc. I'm mainily trying to build supplementary evidence for a theory of mine. I recall one or two of our forum members having an incident not too long ago, but can't remember who it was.

So for anyone that has actual experience with a perceived crash, not friend of a friend of a friend type stuff...

1. How old was the sand bed
2. How deep
3. Type/brand of sand
4. Normal maintenance routine (weekly water change etc)
5. Type of replacement water (RO/tap etc)
6. Normal supplemention
7. Livestock (not too specific, just FOWLR, reef(soft/sps/mix), Pred tank etc)
8. and lastly, just a summary of what happened. Especially anything out of the ordinary that seemed to be the catalyst to the problem.

I myself have not had a crash from a dsb, even when one of my powerheads fell onto the sand and dispersed my bed throughout the tank. The sandbed was only about a year old at the time and the tank suffered no ill effects. I'm trying to pinpoint some similar traits among people who have had problems, hopefully to be able to put together a guideline on their use. Any help would be appreciated and will hopefully benefit quite a few folks.

Since I'm just setting up I can't help, but I sure hope you get lots of responses. The DSB thing has been the hardest issue for me and the more objective vs. anecdotal evidence available the better. Good luck with your project!

Back
Top Bottom