DSB for food source??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning on building a new system soon which will inhabit several nps corals and filter feeders. I cant decide on a deep or shallow sand bed. Ive read that a dsb can be a food source but ive also read they can become phosphate saturated over time and can become a problem. do i go with a shallow bed that i vacuum and maintain while manually feeding the filter feeders? or do i go with a dsb and regularly restock fauna. i prefer the latter as it sounds like less work and more natural but i dont want a saturated dsb that needs replacement down the road.

interesting, especially considering the aquascape i want has minimal live rock. have you heard any other opinions on this method. im thinking of a 4x2.5x2.5 tank but its not set in stone

My 28 nano is a Monaco System and it's been running for about 3 months now. So far so good. I had already passed the algae outbreak stage. Now phosphate is undetectable and nitrate is pretty low. I do 5% pwc every other week and may try to see if I can do it once a month.

i dont understand how this system removes detritus and phosphate buildup within the sand bed. and is it really "maintenance free"? i like the idea but want to hear stories of ppl who have had this system running for several years

Its primary advantage is denitrification process which means it will remove nitrate. In the process you can do pwc less often and no need for sump or fuge. The only way phosphate can be at low level is by having algae consumer in your tank or skimmer. While detritus is by critters in the sand bed.

the problem i have with this is that you have to use coarse sand, which i hate the look of...that may be a deal breaker

does that work? ive read from several sources it needs to be coarse throughout

Your option is to apply it in your sump/fuge then you can have a thin layer of fine sand in your DT. Here is an excerpt taken from that link. I plan to have it on the fuge of my 150 gal DT.

"Many aquarists believe the thick layer of gravel is a negative feature to the Jaubert system, from an aesthetic point of view. This aesthetic concern can be resolved by utilizing the Jaubert system with the thick gravel bed in an attached refugium aquarium. This way the display aquarium can be with no sand or a thin layer, whatever is aesthetically pleasing."

Back
Top Bottom