Dumb question :-D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I havent done a whole lot of research on lighting at this moment since I have a FOWLR ( and plan to for a while yet).. but when I was out shopping this weekend an idea hit me and I thought I just have to ask. I'm sure its a dumb question.. LOL

Why dont people use the 500 + watt spot lights ( at hardware stores etc - that are usually about 10-12" accross, with clip, portable) for tanks? Wrong kind of lighting? They were only about $10..

I know it probably sounds rediculous, but I was curious :biglol:

Its all about light distribution, penetration, kelvin ratings, there is 10k 12k 14k 20k all of which produce different colors of light and different intensity's Just a basic spotlight would not effectively give Corals the photosynthetic absortion they desire. I am just talking out of my *** but is sounds good LOL

Besides the excessive heat given off not to mention to-the-touch, the coloration is just aesthetically fugly (spectrum is different for halogens) so you won't have many options to alleviate that; however, they do sell halide fixtures that you may be able to match up with aquarium ballast/bulbs.

I think Phosphates would be sky high!!!! no fun

Figured as much ;) ( I knew no one used them for a reason, but the thought just came accross my mind) Just had to ask! hah thanks :p

Back
Top Bottom