Dwarf Angle in a reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftfunnative

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone has had issues keeping flaming dwarf angles in a feef aquarium? I have a 29gal tank.

Also, would you add the an angle after the aquarium is well established or in the early stages?

Thanks for the help.

From what I have read it is usually a coin flip. I asked the LFS about a Flame Angel and they said that 80% won't bother coral if they are well fed. I asked another LFS and they said its 50%-50%.

One helpful employee at a LFS suggested purchasing a specific kind of inexpensive coral (she stated the kind but I don't remember) and placing it in the tank. She said dwarf Angels are drawn to it and will usually only eat that specific coral and leave the others alone.

I don't know if this will actually work or not.

dwarf angels like lps corals that are meaty. some do it some dont. coral beauties are normaly rather good about not nipping but you never know.

My dwarf flame angel nips only when he's hungry. I think he's just seeing if it's food. I haven't lost any corals with him in the tank

I have pygmy dwarf in a 16 with a zoa, torch, and a bubble coral. No issues of it nipping at the coral yet.

Its a gamble ,,there is noway to predict what it will be like in a year or two from now...A lot of people say "mine doesn't " but i'd like to know how long they have had theirs ..Some will go years before starting to nip,then they eventually destroy your whole tank..It happens a lot.Its definitely a risk/reward thing.

Definitely wait till the tank is well established ,,angels need good stable conditions

I've had my coral beauty for about six months and haven't seen any nipping at corals or inverts.
Like other people said though, it's a complete gamble.
I would add it after the tank is established, but before you add every single coral you want.

I had two that almost wrecked my reef. They were model citizens for four years but then went haywire. I guess I should not say haywire as they were just doing what their nature suggests. I would not attempt it if it was me. You`ll have to take the tank apart to get them out. JME.

Back
Top Bottom