dwarf fuzzy lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h20addict

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a new yellow/red dwarf lion. I watched all three eat like hogs before i purchased. I know he put a mysis mixture and what looked like frozen krill or shrimp.
Its been about four daus since then and nothing intrests him now...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130401_122739.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130401_122739.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 210
  • ForumRunner_20130401_122827.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130401_122827.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 187
  • ForumRunner_20130401_123012.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130401_123012.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 174
  • ForumRunner_20130401_123125.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130401_123125.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 173
Frozen krill and silversides is what the lfs told me they feed?
Everyone around me is sold out of silversides and ghost shrimp...
The frozen krill i have dosent want to sink lije the inr they fed at the store either...

But in a cup with tank water thaw it out then put it in it will sink

No need to worry yet. He is probably still acclimating to his new home. Mine took a week before it would eat. Also, lion fish are slow metabolism fish anyway. So it is well within its natural diet to only eat once or twice in a week and still be plenty healthy. I know a lot of people say silversides are what you feed however I personally disagree. This is a fine substitute to the fishes diet but the bigger issue is variety. I have about 6 different types of frozen foods that I rotate my feeding for my tank. The last thing you want is to give your fish lockjaw from lack of variety

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/

Ya it has been about 6 days since iv brought hime home. He still is not showing interest in anything. But he is becoming more active.

Last time I had one i had the same problem I used brine shrimp ...I know it's small food but something is better than nothing.beautiful fish by the way..

Thanks! First one with these colors i bave sen in my area in a long time.
iv tried brine, mysis, marine cuisine, fresh gulf shrimp and frozen krill wich i belive is freeze dried so today ill go get fresh and silversides to try

Try feeder goldfish...I know they don't live long in saltwater but a fish in distress is an easy target and there good at sensing that

Everyone told me its better they wait and eat sumthing of nutritional value before feeding goldfish

I totally agree but desperate times for a beautiful fish calls for desperate measures..I would do that as a last resort

Ill try a diffrent krill and silversides today, as i watched him eat this at the lfs before i brought him home

This is as close as he came to a piece of silverside or krill. Tried again but he just swims away...

ForumRunner_20130403_221113.jpg

The best quote I ever read was "a hungry lion fish is a bold lion fish"

I'd give the fish two more days and then try again. His hunger will overpower any uncertainty he has

Welk i gave him a few days and he picked off the adopted chromis over the weekend...
Tried to feed him last night but he wasent interested. Tried to catch him this morning so i can move him into his own tank in the offfice

Try frozen krill thawed out and tie a pice of fishing line onto it(make sure it doesn't float)and shake it up and down in front of him

Iv tried on a string, on a feeding tube and clear acrylic rod.
He eather just ignores it or darts off...they are alot better swimmers then made out to be.

Everything was in check sunday when i yeated, i dont have the numbers off hand. Ill test again tonight

Salinity 1.023
Temp 80.5
Ph 8.1
Nitrite 0 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrate 1.0 ppm
Phosphate 0.2 ppm

h20addict said:
Iv tried on a string, on a feeding tube and clear acrylic rod.
He eather just ignores it or darts off...they are alot better swimmers then made out to be.

Hi mate I purchased the fuzzy dwarf lion fish about 10 days ago I tried everything uve tried and he was doing the exact same thing however!! If u feed him LIVE GHOST SHRIMP he should go crazy for them they dnt have alot of nutritional value so i bort nutrients to feed the shrimp, and I agree they are very gd swimmers but try live foods and slowly try to wein him to frozen hope all goes well :))

Back
Top Bottom