Dwarf lionfish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be upgrading my 20g mixed reef to a 40 breeder in the next few months and am looking at different fish to add. Currently I have 2 Ocerllaris clowns, a firefish, and a rock borer urchin. Would a dwarf lionfish be compatible with these fish or should I forget I even thought about it?

I would say the dwarf would eat the firefish and the clowns too if they are small. Have you thought about a Toby puffer maybe instead?

The lion will eat anything it can get in its mouth, and even the dwarf has an amazingly large mouth. Fire fish won't make it, clowns might.
The lion fish has one of the fastest strikes in the animal kingdom.

I looked at them but I like my inverts too much to go that route.

Lions will eat 90% of inverts in my experience. And the clown or firefish isn't likely to make it if the lion ever gets hungry enough to test it. You'd be surprised what a dwarf lion can eat.

The lion will eat anything it can get in its mouth, and even the dwarf has an amazingly large mouth. Fire fish won't make it, clowns might.
The lion fish has one of the fastest strikes in the animal kingdom.

It's depressing. All of the fish I have obsessed about since I was a kid are impossible to keep in the kind of tank I want :(

Jellyfish, squid, octopus, lionfish, and rays

Be patient. Those are advanced fish that do need some room. Keep that goal in mind and you will have your 1000 gallon tank.

Be patient. Those are advanced fish that do need some room. Keep that goal in mind and you will have your 1000 gallon tank.

I am going to max out at a 300g reef and will make myself happy with a good sized group of tangs and a bunch of interesting inverts. It's just ridiculous that every fish that really really interests me is one I can't have. It's the same way with fresh water as well.. lol

This problem hit me too, except i decided to go down that route instead of avoid it. Ive kept both a fuzzy dwarf and a volitan, each was amazingly beautiful and unique in their own ways, but where they were similar was in their methods of eating and what they ate. If they see something floating or even passing by, that they think will fit in their mouthes, down it goes. I seen a volitan eat a full size goldfish, only to have the tail stick out its mouth

It's depressing. All of the fish I have obsessed about since I was a kid are impossible to keep in the kind of tank I want :(

Jellyfish, squid, octopus, lionfish, and rays
You need 5 species specific tanks and your problem is solved! :D

This problem hit me too, except i decided to go down that route instead of avoid it. Ive kept both a fuzzy dwarf and a volitan, each was amazingly beautiful and unique in their own ways, but where they were similar was in their methods of eating and what they ate. If they see something floating or even passing by, that they think will fit in their mouthes, down it goes. I seen a volitan eat a full size goldfish, only to have the tail stick out its mouth

All I can think of right now is hungry hungry hippos

Back
Top Bottom