Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2017, 04:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Dwarf or maybe Tropical Brittle Stars

Have a little nano tank 6.6G and had found one little tiny guy long time back, probably when I had the 12G, so a couple years.

Then after the tank move to the 6.6G, found there were 2, one with reddish color and one with more greyish purple bands (different colors so I knew 2 different ones).

Today I was looking for a baby RFA in the tank, last spotted in the middle a huge mass of Chaeto, removed the Chaeto into a bucket to see if it was still there, (nope) BUT there were at least 6 Dwarf or Tropical Brittle Stars, I was so shocked about it that I didn't keep counting them.

There was one living under a rock in the front of the tank which I always see its tentacles coming out to eat food particles, and maybe one which I have often seen move around under the stones in the outflow area ( two colors). So maybe 7-8 now???

And then there are 6 arms on this one and looks like the other pic, that one lost a couple segments, has 3 arms.

Are they reproducing, I guess?!?!?

Anyone have any experience about this or ???

Not sure if that is a common thing, but those little critters are amazing and I feel so blessed and happy to see them!

I do feed crushed micropearls and other things for the RFA's & little filter feeders like these.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

These populations go up and down depending on how much food is in the water column. I had probably hundreds of dwarf ones in my 55 during my spike. Now I don't have one that I'm aware of.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brittle stars, dwarf, pic, star, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com