easiest way to upgrade and cycle a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sagacious

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Have a 110 tall tank i want to replace with a 180 in the same location. I obviously needed to setup a holding tank for the life while i drain and move the 110. How can i quickly cycle the new tank so i can put all the life back in? Will using must of the water and rocks from the old tank help speed it up?

Yes and yes. I never upgrade 70 gal but from 36 to 46 an 20 to 36.i used same everything just added extra water and everything was fine.

To clarify the question a little i guess.... If i use water from an established tank to fill a new tank, does it still need to cycle before adding life? My fish and coral will not survive long in a smaller side tank while the new one cycles so i need to get it running quickly

The bacteria doesn't really live in the water. More so in the rock and sand.
Use all the same rock, sand, and water. You would ideally also want the same established filtration. All of these things can help make the cycle virtually non-existant. I would do a quick dosing of ammonia before adding anything and run some tests to be safe though.

Adding the live rock and your old filter(s) contains the bacteria, along with the water should make it "cycled". Gotta be careful though disturbing the sandbed as that can release many nutrients and chemicals. If possible add new sand and a little old sand at first. I would use the old sand after washing it and add it slowly over time. Just me though.

Do not stir up ur sand bed with fish/coral in there.

Adding the live rock and your old filter(s) contains the bacteria, along with the water should make it "cycled". Gotta be careful though disturbing the sandbed as that can release many nutrients and chemicals. If possible add new sand and a little old sand at first. I would use the old sand after washing it and add it slowly over time. Just me though.

+1

Didn't see this

Don't know if this helps but I broke down a120 and set it up at my house when it was given to me. Used the same sand and rocks but only 50% of the water. Same sump, rocks everything. I did leave the fish out for 1.5 days for the sand to settle other than that no issues.

I think it would depend on the age of the tank, the depth of the sandbed, and the type of sandsifting/agitation that was present before.

Back
Top Bottom