Eel and Bioload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thinking about an eel (either zebra or snowflake) eventually for my new 110 gallon. I'm trying to plan for my bioload and figure out how many fish I can include with the eel. The zebra is pretty expensive, so I'll probably get him last. Since the eels get so big, is that going to radically effect my bioload? I thought I read that the general rule of thumb is an inch of fish (minus tail) for every 5 gallons - and 4 inches of eel counts as 1 inch of fish? Or am I completely making that up?

- Skinny

eels definitely add to the bioload more than most community fish. They also have a bad tendency to topple rock, dig pits in the sandbed and eat things you dont want them to eat. As far as your mathematical formula goes, I am not sure I agree with that. Unless you have a great skimmer, and do frequent water changes,I would say that the eel will account for at least 50 gallons of your tank. This is from my experiences with eels only....

Wow, thanks Hara. You've helped me a lot with my eel questions - and I've had a lot. I just want to do this right. Maybe a snowflake might be more my speed as far as size goes because I do want a few fish in the tank too. The zebra is just such a cool eel - I've always wanted one.

One more question, I'm a little worried about my skimmer. I absolutely CANT do a sump, unfortunately - due to space restrictions. I got the AquaC Remora Pro with preskimmer box. I keep getting mixed feedback about it. Is this skimmer underrated for my tank? Some sites say up to 120, some say 90, some say 75+.

Thanks all.

My snowflake is just under 3 feet in length and very thick. They are not a "small" eel when fully grown. Of course, yours will start much smaller, but they do grow fast.
As far as skimmer choice, I have no experience with the aquac, so I hesitate to comment. I have three aquamedic turbofloaters on assorted tanks. My eel tank has 4 eels in it and the skimmer seems to be able to handle it. Wish I could help you more.

If you have the dollars to spend, there are some smaller eels that may suit you
better, but they are usually a bit more pricey as well.

Pete,
I have a snowflake in a 110g tank with 2 triggers and a lion and a porc puffer. My SFE is about 18 inches long and prob an inch or an inch and half thick. I use the same skimmer as you and find it keeps up with the bio-load just fine. I do a water change about once every 2 - 3 weeks and never have water quality issues. For the record I never have had issues with Hector (my eel) being destructive, in fact some night he will eat right of my fingers.

In fact the only problem I have ever had with him is trying to cinvince my wife that it is not a "snake in the water" :lol:

Thanks, ogden - and Hara. I'll have to decide. I do really want an eel. I've always had one - even in fresh water tanks. Just always wanted a zebra. Will see how it goes, maybe get a real small one so that I have a little while longer before it outgrows me.

Thanks again

- Skins

Back
Top Bottom