Eheim 2026 or 2229

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corys510

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Can anyone let me know what experience they have had with the above filters? or suggestions on what i should use. I have a 50 gal reef tank about 5 fish some inverts some soft corals live rock and live sand?
Right now i am using the biowheel 330 and a backback 2 protein skimmer. Any thought or suggestions

Thanks

So you think i dont need another filter just use the skimmer?

Personnaly not knowing better when I startred I bought one but now since I have the skimmer, the filter runs empty as a circulation pump... pretty big and expensive for a pump ! How many lbs of LR do you have and how thick is your sandbed ?

I would say i have between 50-75 lbs of live rock and about 3 inches of sand bed

ok cool should i get rid of the biowheel 330 also or leave it on there

if it just create a nitrite bed then get rid of it !

Just wanted to do a spell-check, I figure you meant nitrate. An absolutely correct, the LR and LS should be fine on its own. However, I would only remove one biowheel...wait 2-3 weeks and then remove the other so it doesn't shock the system. Afterwards, it can be run empty if you want, and is a great place to run carbon!

i was recommended that i get two canister filters for my 75gallon reef tank....if i have those do i need a protein skimmer at all?

I do not want to dicredite the person who told you that but for SW you do not need a canister filter !
A good skimmer, LR and HR will do an excellent job !

Back
Top Bottom