EHEIM Wet/Dry Filter vs. Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never used an Eheim, but I have heard good things about them.
I am getting ready to setup my 60g tank and looking into filters. This tank is going to be LS, 25# LR, and Fish. I have no planes on putting inverts in there at all.
I like th eidea of a sump as I can put the heater in there and skimmer (if I want to add inverts later). But I like the idea of a quite and inclosed filter under the tank.

Any input would be great.
Thanks
G

welcome to aquarium advice !! id save your money and use a regular sump if it were me !! alot more flexible later down the road !! also if its designed right it will be quite for you :)

SUMP

Get a sump system and be sure to get the biggest sump possible. I am running out of room in mine. I have protein skimmer and return pump in mine and it`s full. I barely have room for a larger return pump

SMooTH

I just set up a new tank (120 gallons) with a sump....and Smooth's right...get the biggest you can and make sure you get the very best protein skimmer you can. I use Eheim canisters on all my freshwater tanks but I really like the sump for the marine tank because everything goes into it and so the tank's less cluttered. The only bad experiences I had when I set up the sump were that when I first set it up, the pump that I got (a Rio HF) made so much noise that I had to get rid of it. I replaced it with a Mag Drive and that's totally silent. The other thing that stressed me was that the overflows made so much noise (and the tank's in a room with the big screen TV that my lovely wife watches) that I thought I'd have to get rid of the sump for sure. It took me some Forum searching (right here in this Forum I might add) to get the answer to silencing it...it took that searching and a little bit of simple DIY with some PVC piping to get it to total silence. If you aren't afraid of a little tweaking, which will almost definitely be needed, go ahead and get the sump...By the way, if you do have that noise from the overflows, give us a ring and will get it quiet for you.

Back
Top Bottom