Electrical Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneBowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do most of you have dedicated circuits to your systems? If so, how many amps for set-ups in the 75 gallon range? I'm doing electrical planning for a 72 gallon FOWLR set-up. Any pros or cons to these approaches, dedicated circuit, shared circuit, split among >1 if possible? Thanks.

really dont see a need for a dedicated circuit !! unless ya plan on having over and beyond the norm for pumps and lights :)

Most of our tanks along athat size probably draw 7-8 amps. Depending on lighting and what make/model pumps you have as well as how warm you keep your ambient temperature vs your tank temp (baiscly how long and how much your heaters have to work) will given your average amp usage.

well i have a 12 amp on my tank. it is only for the tank. and i did it this way becasue i needed a new outlet for the tank. and all the other circuits in the area would have been at the max (12 amp).

My tank runs on a dedicated breaker I installed before I setup the tank. I wanted to isolate the tank from the rest of the building in case something besides the electronics on the tank caused a breaker to trip. I would hate that a cash register or vacuum cleaner would cause my tank to go "lights out".

I also elected to install a GFI breaker at the panel. That way, no matter what I plug into the outlet I have the tank on, it is all protected by the GFI.

Oh, and it's a 20 amp breaker BTW.

Back
Top Bottom