Emerald crab molting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishsticks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Came home last night to find my emerald crab frozen stiff, motionless. His coloration has been getting lighter over the past couple of days and I wonder if he is molting? Do they just freeze motionless like this when they molt and if so how long does the process usually take and how often do they molt? I'll post a pic of him when I get home. I just really hope he's molting and not dead. Any experienced advice is appreciated.

There is one way to find out. My lobster molts and it looks like the real thing. I have to grab it and squeeze it to make sure it`s just a molt.

melosu58 said:
There is one way to find out. My lobster molts and it looks like the real thing. I have to grab it and squeeze it to make sure it`s just a molt.

Well I don't want to disturb him if he is just molting. Any clue on how long they stay frozen stiff until they emerge from there shell?

I'm guessing its his molt and he is somewhere else in the tank. I thought mine was dead and then saw him come out of the rocks.

He most likely already has done it. They do it at night when it`s dark and no one is around.

Yes they do. When mine have molted, due to whatever reason, it seems that I find the body cap, with no legs attached most of the time.

TLTGF said:
Yes they do. When mine have molted, due to whatever reason, it seems that I find the body cap, with no legs attached most of the time.

Is two days long enough wait period to inspect it to see if it's the molt or the crab himself. Or should I give him another day

Just reach down there. if it`s him he`ll scurry away. If not you`ll most likely have a molt in your hand. And yes they look like the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom