Emerald Crab Rampage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minotaur

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had suspected that my large emerald crab has been picking at my Xenia. Then, the other day, I saw him pick up the whole rock that the xenia was on and start tearing it up. The xenia had not been doing well, so I thought maybe he was scavaging around.

Now I saw the crab attack my feather duster. He was literally trying to tear it out of its tube.

Now he has to go... He is big, but he is also very fast and hides well. How do I catch him without ripping apart the whole tank?

Before tackling such a task, check the water parameters just as a precautionary measure and keep an eye for anything else in the tank that may not look well. This crab's behavior could indicate an irritation in the tank whether bio related or chemically related.

The task of getting him out may be easier than you thought, but still tricky. I've done it so many times (at the store). The only difference is you can wait for opportunity, I've done this to the demands of customers...LOL.

Take the opportuned time when the crab is in sight where it can be scattered out into an open area or an easy to get to rock. You could try placing a small piece of live rock next to a spot you may see him most at. He might get curious and like it enough to check it out. Sort of lure him out. It helps to use the stick end of a long net to chase him with between the rocks. If he's on a single rock, pick up the rock and have a bucket ready nearby. You could choose to scoop him up in your hand. If you keep your hand relaxed and make it seem as though he goes on your hand at will, less likely he will pinch you. A LFS would take him. Please don't waste the crab and do check parameters. I've never seen emerald crabs trying to rip anythng apart unless perhaps the crab senses that it is ill or weak. That's the nature of scavengers.

I tested the water right away and everything is normal. However, one of my powerheads fell off the glass and into the sand, which created quite a stir-up and a change in the 'lay-of-the-land'.

For now, i put a 2" pvc coupling over the feather duster to keep the crab off of him. I plan on a 30% pwc this weekend, rather then my normal 10%...just to make sure. I am going to give the crab another chance next week and see how it goes.

If not, I have an open spot that he likes to go to at night, I can probably catch him there.

Thanks for your help!

(I would never waste him, my lfs is very good about trading things out like this)

A crab of any type is still a crab and I trust none of them I'm have had emeralds that where fine and I have seen others that ate what they liked

I think thats maybe why they are called omnivorous and opportunity feeders ... If it's out of algae thats what they prefer to eat then it will move to what it can get.. might try to feed the tank more flakes with spirlulina in it..

Back
Top Bottom