emerald crab-vs bubble coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night when I got home from work I noticed there was no bubbles on my bubble coral. It is only a small little frag that I bought for 7 bucks and has been doing well for the past 4 days since it has been in the tank. It had about a cluster of 7 bubble and tentacles even come out from it . I suspect the "reef save" emerald crab. Has anyone had problems with their crabs eating any type of corals? The bubble coral is one of my favorites and I hope that it is not gone for good but merely taking a break. My other suspect is that I added ( for the first time ) a carbonate supplement (1 level teaspoon on a 55 gal tank). The hammer corals,mushrooms ,xenia's and zooanthids are all doing fine though. Anyone have any advice on this one?

I would not rule out the buffer addition but I highly doubt that's the issue without knowing more about your tank's chemistry. Mythrax crabs are considered reef "friendly" but still a crab and an opportunistic feeder. They should be watched closely. Do you have any types of dwarf angels in the tank or other posible "buffet samplers"?

Cheers
Steve

Steve-Have some hermit crabs and one cleaner shrimp . For fish;clowns,damsel,chromis,blenny and a tang but I still feel the crab is the culprit.
My circumstantial evidence is the fact that the hammer coral is doing fine. I guess Ineed to get a new test kit because my current kit tests for Ammonia,nitrat,nitrite and PH and I am now starting to add these supplements as I mentioned before.

Back
Top Bottom