Emerald Crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will emerald crabs eat serpant stars?

I ask because last night my serpant star was hanging out as he always did about an hour after lights out... This morning I found him in peices. Then I see an emerald crab having his legs for a snack!

I had no idea I even had this emerald crab until today... must have been a hitchhiker with the LR.com order (as was the serpant star).

Is this normal marine life activity? I assume it's just part of nature, but thought I'd check with the forum as well.

Thanks

I have two in my 72gal. They happily clean the rock and between coral polyps. I have a sandsifter and a bunch of tiny brittle stars and they have never bothered them.

Could be that the serpent was dying and the crab is just cleaning up. Or, it may not be an emerald crab since its a hitchhiker. Can you get a pic of him? Are his claws kind of cup shaped?

The serpant star was a hitchhiker as well. I'll try and get a picture of the crab. He's staying close to the rock right now.

He has hairy legs and is a brown'ish color.

I had those same hitcher crabs from LR.com

if they are Hairy, brown or red with black tipped Claws, they are rock crabs and are not reef safe.

I got rid of mine recently with a trap.

Yep, sounds like a rock crab.

I was not sure he was an emerald, but I could not find anything else that looked similar so I assumed it was an emerald.

So... now that we know it's a rock crab, would it have had my serpant star for breakfast?

And how do I get rid of it? I went to take a picture and it was gone. Today was the first day I've ever seen it so I doubt it will be around again anytime soon; and I've had this rock for over 2 months!

Back
Top Bottom