emperor 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodgersfan25

Aquarium Advice Regular
just to clarify, there is room inside one of these to put things like carbon, Phosgaurd, and other things like that, right? TIA

Yes there is. It comes with two filter pads and two empty media containers that you can fill with whatever you want. This is a very good filter for HOB. I used it on my first reef and was very happy with it. I have heard of some people removing the bio-wheels to keep nitrates down though.

sweet! but what do the biowheels have to do with nitrates?

In FW they help to eliminate them, in SW the bio wheel becomes a nitrate factory, adding it to your tank instead of removing it. 8O

Someone correct me if I am wrong. The bio wheels create a place for areobic (needs O2) bacteria to grow. I believe this type of bacteria does a great job at removing nitrite, with it's bi-product being nitrate. There is no good resource to take care of the nitrate in this filter. That being said, I used the 400 for over a year on my first reef tank and I left the bio-wheels on. I never had any problem with nitrates. Maybe the DSB and 70lbs of LR (in a 38 gal.) had something to do with it. I am not the smartest one when it comes to Chem. and the natural biological cycle, but I HTH...Lando

Sorry, one more thing. I ran Aqua Chargers in one cantainer and carbon in the other. The Aqua Chargers was suppose to be charged with a hig-density nitrifying bacteria.

For a FO tank, you would not have to remove the wheel. I am using a Emperor 280 on a 29 gal with just 1 fish and a bad crab. I had had this filter for about 5 years and it is still going. Before I knew about LR, I used HOB filters on my FO tanks.

That being said, LR is a better alternative and looks cooler :D

I plan to try to use the 280 on my 10 nano as a refugium.

Honestly, its up to you. You can try them at first, it you have higer then normal nitrates go ahead and take them out and see what happens.

Nitrates for saltwater critters is bad at much lower levels than with freshwater critters. Moniter and ifn you have excess nitrates in your tank then remove your biowheels.

As long as you take care of your tank's water changes you should not have a problem with the wheels/nitrates.

The splashing noise of the sprayers? I just turned them back into the filter area and it quitened them.

IMO, leave the wheels on. I have never had a nitrate problem, and I have ran them since day one. Beneficial bacteria grows there. :wink:

only problem i've had with my emperor is the spray bar tends to clog faster on a SW than on a FW...but a pipe cleaner will fix that i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom