Emperor vs. Penguin for saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin 350 or Emperor 280?

• Penguin 350

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emperor 280

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an old regent 170 (walmart brand) filter running on my 29 gallon saltwater FOWLR. Its just a HOTB regular filter, no bio wheels or extra media space. Over the past few months, I have added a coralife 2x95 watt fixture and 3 fish, and i shrimp, and i think the biological waste + new lighting is taking its toll as i have had a huge algea bloom. I'm looking at either a penguin 350 or an emperor 280. Which one or any comments/experiences?

I have been using the pengiun 280 on my 37g reef for 3 months now. It is a suppliement to my Seaclone skimmer (which is being replaced today by a Remora woohoo)

The filter has been great. I have Carbon in it as I have liked the look of the tank with the use of carbon vs when i do not run the carbon. I may be crazy, but the tank seems like there is a slight green tint when I do not run carbon.

I also have Phosguard in it, just as cheap insurance to keep PO4 down.

I still have the biowheel and have never had any nitrate problems. It always reads below 10ppm (I use saltwater master kit)

HTH,

John

i use the emperor 400 on my tank as well as a seaclone 150. my 55 gal. does pretty well with the set up.plus i am using three pengiun 660 power heads for flow.one thing i would do if using a seaclone skimmer add an air stone to it ,it really helps it out a lot and change that crappy air valve out.

melosu58 - you may be right and enough LR and sand and a skimmer should be all that you nessassarally need. But it never hurts to have soem extra mechanical filtration along with a means for doign chemical filtration (Carbon or phosphate remover, ect.).

Get the filter and use it- not goign to hurt

A quality skimmer is going to remove your excess nutrients better then any HOB. I personally like HOB/canister filters and have used them in both FW/SW without problems but you have to be extremely diligent in cleaning them weekly if you have any media in them since they trap waste very well, increase your nutrients, and add to your algae/no3 problems if you don’t.

What 3 fish and how large are they? You have been doing this long enough to not overfeed and 3 fish in a 29 doesn’t sound like you’re overstocked so I’m at a loss to what would cause your increased nutrients unless you go more then two weeks without changing out your filter media.

What is your current no3 reading and do you test for po4?

Back
Top Bottom