Empty shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just got some empty snail shells for my hermits.

They've been taken out of a shallow open-top tank they use to keep snails/corals in at my LFS.

What should I do with the shells before adding them to my main tank?

If they came straight from an invert tank then they are probably fine to put in.. I got mine from ebay so I put them in boiling water for 10 minutes just to be sure.

I'll put them in boiling water I think too...just bring it to the boil in a pan and drop the shells straight in the pan?

Yep.. give them a good wash in some tank water too.

Yea just to make sure theres no traces of stuff from the tap water stuck in there.

Yeah, turn them over a few times in a container of tank water to make sure there are no FW pockets in the shell.

Shells are just boiling now. They ABSOLUTELY stink! Green stuff came out of them too.

I've just boiled them, and they still stink.

They've also turned green!!

Is Domestos OK? It's really strong! How exactly should I do it?

Isn't Domestos blue? I'd use some regular clear household bleach. Dilute it down with water to something like 1/10th strength, and leave the shells in there for an hour or two. Then wash them extremely thoroughly, leave them to dry, and then wash them again. You really have to make sure to get all that bleach washed out.

if you have any de-chlorinating liquid (like aquaplus) add that to the rinse water, or let them soak in a solution of that after you take them out of the bleach.

I don't have any de-chlorinating liquid...

I've just got some standard "Thin Bleach", which is sort of light green in colour. Will that be ok?

Should I rinse them with tank water (after rinsing and drying with freshwater a couple of times) after I've bleached them for 2 hours?

How do I know they'll be ok to put in the tank after I've done all this (ie. if they bleach has done it's job and the green stuff is nothing to worry about, and then get rid of the bleach!)?

Out of interest, I've also got a piece of white rock that may be a bit suspect to put in my tank.

Can I also bleach the rock in the same way so I can put it in my tank?

MarkW19 said:
Can I also bleach the rock in the same way so I can put it in my tank?
Depends on the composition and how porous the rock is. To be honest I would not be in a hurry to risk it. At the very least be sure that any non-plastics are treated with a dechlorinator and allowed to sun dry for at least a few days-week. Plastics will allow the evaporation of the chlorine quite well if rinsed properly. Many other porous products can trap it only to be released later but that is quite rare. Chloramines are not as easily removed though unless by chemical means.

Chlorines natural state is as a gas so it dissapates rather quickly when exsposed to heat and air. The risks in using it are quite low as long as you take the proper precaution to remove it after use. It should have no residual "chlorine" odor if done properly.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom