evaporation rate and top offs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dropped

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i'm trying to setup a auto-top off for my 20g sump. the sump is attached to my 65g tank with 2x250MH lights. I may have room for only a 1-2 gallon top-off tank. will that be enough or will i lose that much in a day? what's a good estimate for a week of evaporation? i know it's impossible to be accurate, but i need a ball park figure. thanks

YOu will proably lose that much per day. I lose about 5 gal a week on my 75 with just 440W of VHO. One thing that does affect evaporation is the amount of surface movment you have and if you have a glass cover over the tank.

thanks fishfreek, i was afraid of that. :( i won't be using a cover and i will have a mag9.5 with an scwd for circulation.

I generally lose about a gallon a day with 110w of PC on my 55 w/10g sump, both uncovered. Been a little less the last few days, really humid around here this week.

I'm losing about 5 gallons per week from my 40gal system, including a 10gallon sump.

I use a simple powerhead attached to a timer pushing water through an irrigation dripper. The powerhead runs for about 6 x 2hrs each 24 hr period.

Back
Top Bottom