Ever heard of this happening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevnvan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK I got a new 175w MH w/ (2) 65w PC actinics recently I put it above my 92 corner tank on blocks lifting it about 4 inches off the glass surface, well after 2 days imagine my surprise to come home and find my glass caopy lid broken and sitting at the bottom of my tank, thank goodness the light didnt deep six as well it stayed out of the tank luckily. So anyone ever heard of that before?

See my post about my new glass tops. Happened to me a month or so ago.....but I didn't have them raised at all. Now I do...but not 4" so now you got me all worried that it will happen again. Do you have a canopy over the lights as well? and how thick were your tops?

Are these MH hoods? I thought they were meant to sit right on top of the tank. Can they not be over glass at all?

*gasp*

Every coral tank at the LFS's always have their tank with the lids off and the $800-1000 metal halides hanging from the ceiling about 6-12" from the surface.

OK I just did some measuring and as usual my guesstimates suck...sorry guys...lol...OK heres the deal light was 2 inches off the glass and glass tops were 1/4 inch thick. Also I have no canopy over the top of the lights completely open. Hope that clarifies some

I am going to Home Depot today to get some chain and some butterfly anchors and gonna hang this hood from the ceiling about 8 inches off the surface, was gonna do this over the weekend anyway thought I could get away with the temp solution on blocks till then, LOL, guess not. Also I ordered a new glass top for the tank, I know the LFS have an open top and it has been suggested a few times but I have quite the escape artist in a 2 foot Snowflake Eel and I dont really want to feed my cats fresh seafood yet :)

MH gets extremely hot. 2 inches off the glass is definitely not enough. I have a friend that had an MH a few inches off the glass and melted his center brace on the tank. Needless to say, he had to get the brace replaced. I have mine positioned about 12" above the water. TO accomplish this, I had to build a 15" custom canopy that would house the retro's and 5 inch fans on each side to keep the temp stable. Although these lights are spectacular, they can be very dangerous. I'm just glad your tank is fine.

Mike

I am running PC's....so how far off the 1/4" glass should I have those with a canopy....obviously the canopy is going to limit it

I run PC's in addition to MH. The PC lighting doesn't get near as hot as the MH. I was running then about 3-4" off the glass tops before I built the new canopy.

Mike

so 2-3" should be kosher even with a hood you think. I only run them 5 hours tops a day. I have an artificial reef cause my selection of fish involves teeth and stuff

not to hijack this thread but I just noticed Salttanker that you have a foxface as well? Love to hear how yours is. Had mine for 2 weeks now....I love watching him change. Have you ever seen the picture of them on liveaquaria.com? Saw it and ordered one from my LFS....but was floored at the difference. Was wondering if yours is more like he bi-color compared to their picture as well?

I love my Foxface Lo. He eats all the algae that others leave behind. I have had him for almost a year now, and is doing well. He is also great in a peaceful, or aggressive tank, which is one of the reasons I got him. Mine looks just like the picture. Did they send you the bicolor foxface instead?
I almost bought a 180g tank this year, but I don't currently have the room for both of them. So, my project for next year when I move into a bigger house is the 300g in-wall tank. I can hardly wait!

Mike

I know a pic will help so I will work on getting one tonight. I may have some kind of mixed foxface. Mine has the body shape of the bi-color....but the same coloring in the face and body of the Lo...except I have no green....he is all yellow on the back. He can make his yellow body have 3 broad black marking down it when he is "hiding" and can make his face turn to gray....really strange

Mine does that sometimes. It's like he's trying to blend in with the rocks. During the day, he will eat out of my hand along with the others, eat the algae on the rocks, but at night he changes colors with his fins sticking straight up. I suppose in the wild he has to do that to keep other fish away from him. My Trigger doesn't mess with him at all. I can see why.

Mike

see everything but the look of mine is the Lo....so I don't know...guess I will change my sig....;-)

Hah, the21, ur population is nice. How's the shark faring in that tank? (sorry for the thread jack)

np..I think we covered the original question so at some point someone will move this or ignore us is my guess. Anyway, "Bruce" (I have a 2 yr old girl who loves Nemo hence the name) is doing great. My LFS forced him on me cause he eats like a champ and said I shouldn't pass this one up knowing I was going to get one eventually. Ever since bringing him home he has continued to eat at will. He is always looking for food and stays more active that expected. About a foot long now, he loves scallops and shrimp....probably squid too but that stuff stunk up my whole house so he is SOL there. No one bothers anyone else and I have a few more stock planned. MAYBE a Magpie Sweetlips...size could be an issue. I am definitely going to transfer my Koran when he is bigger and have an Achilles Tang waiting for me. I will try to get some pics of the tank tonight. 1 1/2" black sand bed....black background....give it that bottom look.

Let us know how you make out with the Achilles Tang. Many of us want one but they can be very challenging to keep. I think they are one of the most beautiful Tangs around.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom