everyone please help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For total number of fish, the rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon. In other words, in a 20 gal tank, you could have 20 one inch fish, or 10 two inch fish and so on. If you are talking about a single fish in a 29 gal tank, obviously the rule will not apply. A 29" fish would not even fit in the tank. Basically, you want to make sure that whatever the fish, when full grown, will have plenty of room to swim and turn.

Just curious, why are you asking?

EDIT: My mistake. I have just ventured over from freshwater. That should be 1 fish per 5 gallons. :oops:

in saltwater the "rule of thumb" is 1" of fish per every 5 gallons, but that is just a basic guideline. Really it matters on the needs of the fish u have such as territoriality, swimming space, ect. depends on the fish really.

Well as Ross said with saltwater the rules are a bit different and even in freshwater the inch per gallon rule is not generally correct. You could possibly keep a frogface angler in a 29 Gallon which gets quite large (even though I would not) as they are not swimmers so-to-speak. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. As a further disclaimer I do not recommend an angler, but I think for what you are looking for your are pretty well maxxed out.

R-

rossv said:
in saltwater the "rule of thumb" is 1" of fish per every 5 gallons, but that is just a basic guideline. Really it matters on the needs of the fish u have such as territoriality, swimming space, ect. depends on the fish really.

Gee, you can tell where I have been spending most of my time! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom