experience with kalkwasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im upgrading to a new tank starting fresh. will just be using the same live rock and a cup of sand to seed the new bed

what are the benefits of a dsb besides denitrification. i just realized since i plan on incorporating an auto water change system on my new tank i may not even need the denitrifying qualities of a dsb

Dissolved Organic Compounds, waste of all kinds. This encompasses phosphates, ammonia and nitrates which are the ones we usually monitor.

hmm i dont have an issue with that, but acid seems to be very prevalent

should i start siphoning out sand with every water change? or could that do more harm than good?

also ill probably need a dsb for my next build for the jawfish i want. so i should just learn how to properly build and maintain one. seems many aquarists are pro dsb so they must work if done right

It's really up to you. Probably nothing wrong with siphoning some sand everyday. I'm a fan of crushed aragonite, but I'm not keeping jaw fish. There are many guys that use DSB's I'm just not one of them. I went a different route. Some guys use mud in their sumps, but I haven't any hands on experience with those techniques. I have just read there are potential problems.

Back
Top Bottom