fake coral/anemones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if its safe to put fake corals/anemones in a tank. I know that the places that sell them say that their safe I just want to make sure that it is and that it wouldn't kill my fish.

They're safe - just rinse them off good in purified water before you put them in your tank. They'll end up looking pretty grungy in a months time though.

Have a look at my lights.. they're too expensive where I live and the heat... well, then I'd have to buy a chiller. Plus, fake ones don't die and I wont need to maintain all the various specific levels.

Chiller? Naw... you can keep plenty of nice coral with just PC (power compact) fluorescent lighting and that doesn't generate much heat at all. Even with VHO, you don't need a chiller. But you're right about the other stuff!

Regardless of how clean the tank stays, the snails won't keep the fake plastic stuff clean enough to really look nice - or even real, for that matter.

OK, well, they're still way too expensive in my area. Unfortunately...

I have 2x 250-watt halides with T5HO, I live in a hot part of California and I still don't use a chiller. Fans work great! I will admit that I do keep the AC on 24/7 in the summer but only at 77-78. Its not too expensive if you go really slow with it. You can buy a decent sized maricultured piece for around $40-$60

Just take your time and you'll have a very nice tank.

Back
Top Bottom