Fake Nassarius??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r312h

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently found out that I had purchased some fake nassarius snails, Ilyanassa obsoleta, from an ebay vender ( I didn't even know they were really that different besides the color. I found an article here talking about the damage that can be done in a tank from having these snails:

Do You Know Who You’re Dealing With? Get to Know the Real Ilyanassa obsoleta by Mike Greenemeier - Reefkeeping.com

I would like to remove them from my tank, and would like handle them as responsibly as I can. What do you guys suggest I do with them? Find a small separate tank til they eventually die? Humanely kill them all off? I'm not quite sure what the best way to handle this situation would be. Any advice? Thanks

Oh NO!!!! I think I have these too!! I'm a sucker for a good deal......anyone have any suggestions on what we should do??

Let them live their short lives in your tank. Then replace them with the more expesive vibex as well as other types of snails.

Will do, the article talks about the snails possibly carrying 9 different species of flukes, which it says normally doesnt attack humans but may mistakenly burrow under your skin. Is there any serious harm in leaving them in?

Back
Top Bottom