Feather Duster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettWalker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tried moving my Feather Duster to another tank and in the process the middle part of the tube separated. :cry: Is the end of the poor thing or can they repair themselves? I haven't seen any tenticles appear. Should I remove from tank? Moved it Friday.

Tearing the tube should not have killed the worm (you did know they were worms, right 8O ), Did it drop it's crown? Can you still feel the worm inside the tube? Is it moving any, especially when you first touch it? It is more than likely stay in it's tube trieng to recover from the stress and repair the damage to the tube.

Kevin, I did know it was a worm, but didn't know if maybe I had separated it from something it couldn't live without. :( I'll see if it moves when I touch it. BTW, do they like a lot of current? That is why I moved it...appeared to me to be in too much current in the main tank. Maybe it liked it?

They are filter feeders, therefore they depend on current to bring them their food, but I would think they would prefer a moderate current that would not remove the food as quickly as it brought it....

:lol: You know, a lot of the answers to my questions are so logical. I'm so lacking in that area. Makes me feel like such a dummy, but hey, you probably feel like what you are. :wink:

Hi, my Feather Duster is not DEAD. :D It now is showing its tentacles. Do I leave the other half which I broke off in the tank? Is there life in it also?
Thanks,

Is what broke off just the tube? Is it hollow? Or is there part of the worm inside?

btw, your 6 posts way from an Angel ... :)

along the lines of feather dusters...and my injured sebae anemone. I have noticed that since the arrival of the peppermint shrimp, the baby dusters are not coming out anymore, or if they are, it is so seldom, that I never get to see them. Would the shrimp be eating them too?

Bett,

You should be able to tell if a FD worm is alive (or in this case, even IN) the tube. Touching, or pretend pinching, of the tube should cause the worm inside (if there is a worm inside) to move, kind of like a flinch or withdrawl movement. Check and see if you feel movement; that should be an indication to you.

Sue

Back
Top Bottom