Feather Duster Emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NanoReeferZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I was looking at my feather duster and i saw what looked like a bristle worm in its tube :eek:
I really hope it won't die Help!

Decently a bristleworm not sure if it will do harm maybe someone with more knowledge about those worms can answer. I scoped out about 15 of them when I came home for lunch they were all in one corner. I hate those worms even though they are considered to be a CUC.

I don't know if it will bother your feather duster or not. I tend to like them, but keep them in check with sunset wrasse. You can try setting up a bristle worm trap close to your feather duster to catch him.

I don't know if it will bother your feather duster or not. I tend to like them, but keep them in check with sunset wrasse. You can try setting up a bristle worm trap close to your feather duster to catch him.

I was told that the Striped Wrasse will eat them did not know the sunset wrasse will. Is your aquarium Fish Only or do you have corals in it? If you have corals has the Sunset ever bothered any of the corals?

I was told that the Striped Wrasse will eat them did not know the sunset wrasse will. Is your aquarium Fish Only or do you have corals in it? If you have corals has the Sunset ever bothered any of the corals?

I don't have him in my coral tank (it is only 75 gallons). He will grow to be about 9' and he is already 6'. If you do get a wrasse I would suggest the six-lined wrasse. They seem to be the most popular and always eat bristleworms. Plus, the six-line are small and very colourful. While other species are not a guarantee that they will eat bristleworms.

6 line wrasses do not always eat bristle worms. Just grab it with a pair of tweezers and remove it if it's a problem.

6 line wrasses do not always eat bristle worms. Just grab it with a pair of tweezers and remove it if it's a problem.

i find as soon as i bring out the tweezers they are gone...do you have a trick?

Not really, I think it depends on the worm though. Those common bristles don't see you coming, but some similar worms have eyes and are much faster. As soon as they smell food they will come out. You can grab them at feeding time.

BTW, that feather duster doesn't seem bothered by the worm. It's out and open. It's not going to bother with a healthy worm.

I scoped them out with a net do not know what they where going after but I had ton in one corner of the tank when I came home for lunch one day grabbed my net and scoped them out. But I would like something that will keep them at bay. And the 6-line wrasse I have heard of people having problems with them.

Last edited:
I scoped them out with a net do not know what they where going after but I had ton in one corner of the tank when I came home for lunch one day grabbed my net and scoped them out. But I would like something that will keep them at bay. And the 6-line wrasse I have heard of people having problems with them.

Six-liners can be aggressive. There are many different species of wrasse that will eat bristle worms. Some people have even had success with a harlequin tusk. I know there is even a type of wrasse that will go into the sand to eat the bristle worms (i can't remember the name sorry ; ; ). It is a give or take on wither or not the fish will eat bristle worm. I would suggest finding a wrasse you really enjoy and it won't out grow your tank and keep your fingers crossed -.^.

Best way to keep bristle worms under control is to not over feed the tank. Having a couple is a good thing because they clean up uneaten food before it rots but if you have a bunch you are over feeding your tank.

I have a adult red coris wrasse that does quick work of them. I was expecting him to eat my snails but he doesn't got him trained haha

I just read up on them says they will become destructive and will eat invertebrates.. Really cool looking though I see them at the LFS and just pass them up because I thought they were not reef safe.

Last edited:
True I had been over feeding a while back but I have drastically cut back due to my Nitrates being high.

Back
Top Bottom