Featherduster question, again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Didn't get any response, thought I'd try again...

When I started setting up my tank, I asked the lfs for aragonite. They gave me two large bags of aragonite gravel. It's 1/8" to 1/4" gravel. They also suggested live sand, which I bought and added. A friend had given my his tank and I mixed his substrate with mine and got my tank started. When he noticed my gravel, he asked why the lfs gave me such large sand. At the time, I didn't know aragonite came in the form of sand, so when they handed me the gravel, I bought it, so that's why I have it.

First question: I want to get a large featherduster worm, but how will he do in the substrate I have? My tank is a reef tank with lots of live rock, but there is more gravel than sand. Should I start switching over to sand over time, or will my substrate work for the worm and others (like amenomes/coral, etc)?

Second question: I fell in love with a sally lightfoot crab at the lfs awhile back. The dealer told me they were reef safe. I didn't have my trusty pocket guide to marine inverts with me, so I trusted the dealer. Of course, the pocket guide says the crab isn't reef safe. He hasn't been a problem yet, but will he eat the featherduster if I get one? Do y'all think I should take back the crab since I'm building a reef tank?

~ Sharon

Rather you switch to sand is a personal choice but I agree the duster will do ok on the gravel. I'd take the crab back.

Thanks for both opinions. Can you tell me what is typical in a reef tank, sand or gravel? I know I will want a bigger tank at some point because I'm already wanting more critters, so it would be good to do it the best way.

I can again, only give you an opinion and I believe sand is a more popular substrate.

Back
Top Bottom