Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ni111

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have just purchased 2 small clowns, i allready have a red spotted goby a very hungry fire shrimp and a striped shrimp that eat quite alot. Ive been feeding three times a day on frozen pellets that contain variety of brine and mysis shrimp along with other things like seaweed. I also have a big hermit crab and two small ones but there little competition for food. Any advice on how much too feed and how many times a day, i think i might be overfeeding but when i feed them they eat it all? Just a tad worried no signs of problems though. :D

If i were u i would mix it up but use a lil less food ex)2 times of a decent amount,nxt day do like 3 light feedings,then 1 heavy,then 4 moderate feedings then skip then 2 heavy,then 2 light,then 3 very light ,then 2 moderate,-do u get what i mean just mix it up and make sure to every once in a while skip a day to keep up competativeness or they become lazy and as for knowing what is light,moderate,and heavy just take notice on when they still look thin or a lil chubby and after a while u will figure it out and youll just know! Good luck!

very confusing didn't read the second post but most people will say you oare overfeeding especially because you do not have lots of fish. I see many people say fish will do fine on less and say every other day is a good way to go (once a day)

and even if they eat it all, that = more poop = more nutrients/ammonia/all that other good stuff (bad stuff)

Regarding feeding,it depends on the type livestock you have and what their daily needs are.
The main thing is having sufficient biological and other filtration,and cuc to handle the daily bio load from your livestock feeding and their waste.
That is why you need to test and determine what works best for your livestock and tank.

Fish are like me and milkshakes,I would sip on one all day long if I could.LOL

your tank is going to go south quick with multiple feedings a day. i have fed a 150 gallon reef 2 times a week for about a year now and the fish are fat and healthy.
inverts that eat food do not keep the tank clean. they also poop out the food they eat. a "CUC" will not solve the problem of overfeeding. nutrient export is the only thing that removes waste. when something is eaten, it does not disappear. it will not leave the tank until YOU remove it.

Just tagging on. I try to do every other day with my tanks. It is hard when they see you pick up something that looks like their food and they rush over to you :) But I've been good about it lately.

Back
Top Bottom