Feeding Anemone Silversides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had these Gbta close to a month now. When I first got them they were extremely stringy/not fatish is you know what I mean. The tentacles are curvy at the ends in the tentacles and somewhat in the middle of the tentacle. The lady was nice and gave me these 2 nems for free because she had too many in her system. She told me to feed it some silversides and it's color will turn greenish and bubble up. I dont have silversides but I do feed them uncoiled shrimp (the size is a smaller than the mouth). My question is should I go out and buy them some silversides? Will that help their overall health? I know that some people don't feed their nems at all. I have a 48in 4bulb t5.

Uncooked shrimp*** stupid iPod spelling fix.

Read this....
Anemone Feeding/Foods/Nutrition: Types, Frequency, Amount, Wastes
"Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock! Many anemones (especially larger species) are detritivorous (a polite term meaning they eat poop), planktivorous, and largely chemoautotrophic/photosynthesizing species/individuals that hobbyists try to over-stuff with meaty/prepared foods. My bid for largest cause of loss of anemones is the consequences (lack of oxygen, hydrogen and other sulfide production...) from over-feeding. Cut it out! Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most can and do do well on weekly feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone.

For almost all varieties kept, an occasional (weekly or so) perfusion (wash?) of live brine shrimp, prepared mash of frozen or dried food, or frappe' (as in with your blender) of "fresh" marine food meant for human consumption (shellfish, shrimp, langouste, not-so-oily fish) with or without supplementation."

The only reason I'm feeding them once a week is because they didn't look too good when I first got them. Not because I thought they were hungry or because it's the right thing to do.

Read this....
"Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock! Many anemones (especially larger species) are detritivorous (a polite term meaning they eat poop), planktivorous, and largely chemoautotrophic/photosynthesizing species/individuals that hobbyists try to over-stuff with meaty/prepared foods. My bid for largest cause of loss of anemones is the consequences (lack of oxygen, hydrogen and other sulfide production...) from over-feeding. Cut it out! Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most can and do do well on weekly feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone.

For almost all varieties kept, an occasional (weekly or so) perfusion (wash?) of live brine shrimp, prepared mash of frozen or dried food, or frappe' (as in with your blender) of "fresh" marine food meant for human consumption (shellfish, shrimp, langouste, not-so-oily fish) with or without supplementation."

Not to get too off topic, and by no means am I trying to hijack this thread...but do you have the same opinion about feeding LPS twice a week to quicken growth?

Read this....

You have to keep repeating this because everyone buys them and only 10 %actually have a tank and lighting system that will support them. So when they do not look good, everyone thinks giving a butch of food will help. I gave up trying to help people with them, as they always do what they want.

Back
Top Bottom