Feeding Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 46gal fowler has now been converted to a reef tank. I'm still new to this hobby and need some advice on feeding my corals.

I've got:

1 - pink brain coral
2 - green buttons
1 - green frog spawn
1 - pulsing zenia
1 - ivory (bubble?)
1 - orange carnation
2 - small brown mushrooms

I have a bottle of Kent Zooplankton, some Celcon and a jar of plankton which I believe is daphnia (not sure - my tank is at the office), I also use frozen Mysis shrimp and frozen brine shrimp for the fish.

Exactly what should I be feeding these corals and how often?

My corals get phyto too and that's about all I feed them. Very occasionally I will spot feed my LPS with meaty foods, but that's it. I'd feed about 2-3 times a week if you wish on feeding, but make sure to keep up on water changes either weekly or bi-weekly.

On a side note, is the orange carnation that you mention a Dendronepthya carnation coral? If is, they are very hard to keep alive, because they require a LOT of microfauna, and I would target feed that coral nightly, and with a good amount. They lack zooxanthellea, so they NEED good, nutritious food to survive.

HTH

As Lindsay said there are few corals out there that do need target feedings. I forgot to mention this in my previos post. I even have one which is my orange sun polyps. They do not benefit from the lights so they need to be fed as your coral that Lindsay mentioned.

Some pictures would be great!!! I know that one of the LFSs that I use have many of their corals mislabled or misnamed.

are you guys direct feeding at all or just dumping the DT's or phyto in the tank and letting it mix into the tank? I use a mix of DT's, DT's oyster eggs, cyclopeeze(sp), and a little coral excel and mix up a little direct feeding of the zoos and corals that look like they could use a boost and then just dump the rest in the top!

beachbumin said:
I use a mix of DT's, DT's oyster eggs, cyclopeeze(sp), and a little coral excel

I have used the first two you mentioned. I just add to the water column and they will pick up.

Back
Top Bottom