Feeding crabs!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm still worried that my 8 hermits aren't getting enough food.

There's little, if any, algae left in my tank - they've done a great job with it!

I keep finding dead crabs dotted around (not molts).

I've put some small pieces of seaweed in today but as they don't move around much, only a couple of crabs have got to it. There are a few pieces left - should I get these pieces out or just leave them in there? It says on the seaweed packet that I should take out uneaten seaweed within a couple of hours, but a few small pieces shouldn't hurt should they?

So, how can I know they're getting enough food? I'm worried for the poor little guys!

Get some sinking pellets. I throw a pinch or 2 in a couple times a week for an "invert treat". My crabs, shrimp and stars come out of the woodwork (so to speak) for them! :)

I've been looking for some pellets but the only ones I can find are for tropical tanks...

Atari: any ideas? :p

Nothing wrong with tropical pellets.. I give them Tetra Variety Wafers.

Atari: I read on the packet of tropical ones I got that they contain phosphates though?

Can I leave the pellets in there if they're uneaten?

Yes they contain phosphates (like all food) but just add one and watch your crabs go crazy.. there won't be anything left within 5 minutes. I give them 2 pellets twice a week and let them scavenge the other days.

I think mine are Hikari sinking tropical pellets...

Back
Top Bottom