feeding frozen fod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
please tell me how you guys do this

what i do is:
take a cup of tank water
put the cube in the cup
then when thawed use a baster and
gently squirt it in the tank

good yes/no???

depends on what frozen food you're feeding. I use a brine shrimp net and pour anything like mysis or krill through it. the liquid these are frozen in is full of phosphates, so i tend to even rinse my mysis/krill in warm tap water after I drain it. Then I just toss pinches in hte tank.

For formula 1 or 2 cubes, your method is fine, but you'll have to mash them up after thawing before you can use a baster.

IMO the best way is to allow the food to slowly thaw in the fridge and drain off the juices before feeding. The slow thaw keeps bacteria from forming on the food and by draining your get the phosphates out without loosing all the vitamins that you would by thawing it in water.
Also it is a good idea to first soak the food in Zoe or Selcon to give them a little extra nutrition.

I use frozen brine shrimp, what I do is I break off little chunks and put them in a cup. Then I put a little bit of my ank water in the cup and twirl it around or mix it. Then I just pour in however much food they need.

I shave mine into a cup with tank water then use a turkey baster to target feed.

I learned my lesson not to do this over the tank when I first started the hobby. A large frozen chunk fell into the tank only to snapped up by my favorite Clarki. The frozen chunk damaged his gills and a long two week spiral to death began. :?

I purchased a $1.19 worm feeder from Pet Solutions - the perforated cone is removable so it's not seen all the time - the frozen cube dissolves quickly and the fish now are trained to pull the shrimp from it - works great also when the cone is out as a retainer ring for floating foods

Was well worth the few bucks - I am sure other companies have them available, but this was simplest and cheapest I found

I shave many thin pieces off of a cube of formula one and two. ( I have been mixing both lately. ) then I put them in a cup of tank water for 5 minutes, before I dump it in, i break apart a few pieces so the fish have something small to nibble on for a while. but I leave larger chunks because they all prefer the big stuff. (including my CBS. he loves the big chunks.)

Back
Top Bottom