Feeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MississippiFishGuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed that every time I come close to the tank they think it's time to eat. I know I over feed them but how often should I be feeding them. And what about my polyps I just got more shrimp for them.

Fish learn who feeds them and know that begging can result in being fed. Depending on the fish you keep once a day should be enough. I know some people feed only a couple a week. Some fish like midas blennies do better with 2 small feedings a day.

Most wild fish are caught by use of cyanide so when we get them they are having bad effects from the poison. I usually feed new fish more often and a variety of food until I see they are keeping their weight on or gaining weight.

What kind? Most of them are fed by the algae in their tissues and really don't need feeding, except occasionally. Even then, I want to concentrate the feeding to certain corals, so using a big syringe with a piece of airline tubing works fine.

No they don't grow faster and bigger with feeding. Good water quality and lights is what will make them grow.

People tell me if you feed them shrimp they grow faster and get bigger.
I`ve never target fed my corals. They get all they need from the lighting and water column. Been like that for 13 yrs now. Dont get me wrong, they will grow with feeding but no more then if you did not target feed but had good lighting and whatever they get out of the water column.

melosu58 said:
I`ve never target fed my corals. They get all they need from the lighting and water column. Been like that for 13 yrs now. Dont get me wrong, they will grow with feeding but no more then if you did not target feed but had good lighting and whatever they get out of the water column.

So target feeding them is just a waste if time then.

It all depends on the type of coral. Most corals tend to feed almost entirely on light. Some corals like frogspawns, hammers, the larger mushrooms cups and even a few brains like occasional target feedings. Other corals like the orange sun polyps feed primarily on small crustaceans like mysid shrimp. A good rule of thumb is that of you see sweeper tentacles come out at night, the coral will appreciate the occasional target feeding.

Back
Top Bottom