Feeding? (Salt water)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquanGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just looked for some articles on Feeding. Is there a good guide or article someone can recommend on feeding?

I am using Frozen Brine Shrimp for my two clown fish and I've had two people tell me its more of a treat than it is healthy. This is what the store recommended.

Can someone recommend something? also, how much and how often?

Feed only as much as they will consume in about 2 minutes. Clean up the rest. Brine shrimp are considered a treat because they don't have many nutrients. They make specialty clownfish diets you can look into.

get some mysis shrimp and flake food feed once a day alternate between the flake and mysis shrimp. and as crepe said feed only as much as they will eat in about two mins.

I fed my fish once every other day. You really don't need to feed them every single day, unless you have anthias or something... but since you have clowns you don't need to. Like i said.. i fed my clowns once every other day, sometimes i even skipped two days. Feeding them every other day also helps out with the normal habit that people have of overfeeding their tank.. which could lead to a nitrate problem. It also helps because the fish will most likely devour all of the food you put in.. no mess and no cleanup! I never had to clean out un-eaten food because my clowns always ate.. everything. Haha.. pigs.

try mussel as well,mine love it,be careful with brine shrimp as fish love it more than mysis,keep brine just as a treat not daily food,also I would feed once every 2 days and only enough to be eaten within 3 mins.

You can buy liquid vitamin supplements for saltwater and soak the brine shrimp in it prior to feeding. I'm sure lfs sell them, but I got mine from Drs. Foster and Smith. I use Vita Chem and Selcon (which is an omega-3 fatty acid supplement) and alternate. I soak frozen brine and frozen mysis in those to provide more vitamins/nutrients. :)

My fish also eat pellets (Ocean Nutrition formula one pellets), so I use those pretty frequently.

it's not a good practice to feed one type of food. a varied diet is best.
i don't use the store bought supplements but make my own food. it's much cheaper and cleaner than store frozen. just open up your frozen brine and have a smell. it's foul smelling, nearly rotten brine frozen in nasty water. home made food is a lot cleaner and you can add or remove whatever you like.
here's one recipe of mine-
RenegadeReefers.org • Information

Back
Top Bottom