feeding stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have what appears to be 2 Fancy Banded Serpent Stars living in side a piece of live rock. The only thing I have in the tank is a clean up crew. I was wondering if I should spot feed them. They regularly have there arms out trying to catch anything as it goes by, but being as I don't have any fish there isn't much food floating around. I tried feeding them mysis shrimp the other day, but although they would grab the shrimp I am not sure they were able to take anything down to the mouth. Should I try and spot feed them, and if so with what?

They will live off of scraps and lefover food. However I do spoil mine and give them a sinking pellet twice a week, they take it with gusto. Have had them for 7 months with no issues.

They will live off of scraps and lefover food

No fish in my tank so there isnt too much left over food really

What type of sinking pellet do you give them?
Do yours live in the rock like mine or are they out and about?

If you have live rock then there should be enough for them to eat. I have about 8-9 bristle stars and one huge brittle star. and they just eat all of the junk from the rocks. I do feed my tank phyoplankton twice a week too. My bristles hang in the rock all day, but my brittle star comes out at night and in the morning.

I enjoy feeding mine, although I agree that they probably don't need it. I have an alligator clip on the end of a stick and they will grab any kind of food that I clip on there.

They aren't very strong, and can't even rip the food out of the clip. I have to just barely clip the food in place so they can get it.

I feed a variety of bristleworms and other strange worms in the same way. Good fun!

Back
Top Bottom